I recently visited NYU in Manhattan, where I toured the campus and spoke with the admissions office about the latest trends in admissions. Here are some takeaways from my visit:
· NYU has around 25,000 undergrads. Admit rates, which average 12.2% overall, are roughly comparable across undergraduate programs, although slightly lower at Arts & Sciences, Tisch and Tandon. The median SAT score is 1550 and median ACT is 35.
· NYU is globally-focused and has two degree-granting campuses in Shanghai and Abu Dhabi, plus 12 academic educational centers around the world where students can study. Financial aid and credits travel with students across the various campuses and educational centers. Some programs allow students to study abroad as early as their first year.
· First-year seminars often touch on the culture of NYC and turn the city into the students’ classroom.
· Housing is guaranteed all four years and underclassmen typically live on campus, but upperclassmen usually move off campus.
· At the Leslie Entrepreneurship Lab, students can utilize counselors, workshops and a production lab to explore and launch business ideas. Leslie also hosts a “shark tank” where students can pitch their project and compete for funding.
· NYU has dedicated $500,000 to funding undergraduate unpaid internship opportunities.